(Source: “Digest: Iowa police officers honored,” Sioux City Journal, 5 November 2013)
Gov. Terry Branstad and Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds honored 11 Iowa police officers and firefighters with the 2013 Sullivan Brothers Award of Valor at a ceremony Tuesday in the Iowa Capitol building rotunda.
Tuesday’s honorees included :
- Captains Steven Henry and Jason Barrick and firefighters Tyler Prochaska and Jon Linn, all of the Iowa Falls Fire Department
- Deputy Jeremy Burdess of the Jasper County Sheriff’s Department;
- Officer Adam Herman of the Newton Police Department
- Officer Joe Bartello of the Baxter Police Department
- Officer Zac McDowell of the Urbandale Police Department;
- Trooper Mark Domino -of the Iowa State Patrol
- Officer Benjamin Driscoll of the Iowa Department of Transportation’s motor vehicle division
- Sumner Police Chief Dennis Cain
The award is presented to peace officers and firefighters who — while serving in an official capacity – have distinguished themselves by the performance of a heroic act in excess of normal demands of police or fire service where the person was fully aware of the threat to his or her personal safety.